Every year we have this discussion, What to do with the extra berries from the farm? This year, I have finally figured it out, I made freezer jam with last years berries! With the berry season coming quickly, we needed to do something with the surplus of berries from last year.
I was very nervous, considering this is my first time attempting jam. So I followed the directions very carefully, and I was pleasantly surprised that my first batch came out perfect!!
Since I had great success with the first go around, tonight I tried it again. The first batch was marrionberry, and tonight’s batch was Blueberry. The blueberry looked really runny, I hope it turns our. Here are some pics of my jam making process!
Thawed Marrionberries, Grown here on the farm :)
Thawed Blueberries, also grown here on the farm!
Smash the MB's with a potato masher.
Chopped the BB's in the food processor (I love my food processor)
Sugar, water and pectin.
MB Jam all done!
BB Jam all done. 7 pints. I hope it sets, it looks really runny! We will see tomorrow.
I made 4 pints of MB jam with 3 cups of sugar, and 4 pints with 2 cups of sugar. The one with 3 is better surprisingly, it take more like the berries then the other! I am addicted now!
Another thing I accomplished this weekend was getting my "big garden" Planted!! Well, most of it! I was so relieved to get it done!